Sunday, September 11, 2011

Changing the shape of furniture.

All done and ready for the client.
Sometimes clients bring us furniture that is just screaming to be remodeled. Not just recovered. But remodeled.

Let's face it, styles change. Some pieces are classics and look good all the time. But that's not always the case. Sometimes we buy pieces that are trendy. Maybe they'll be a classic one day. But maybe they won't.

You might be able to change the material or pattern to make it more current. But often it needs more than that.

Furniture that is made well with good quality wood is worth saving and reworking. And that's exactly what we did with these pieces.

The entire shape of the sofa and chairs were streamlined.

The big rolled arms screamed 1990 so the client and their Dallas designer emailed us drawings outlining their ideas and details on how to make it more contemporary. We loved the plan. And we really love the results.

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

Here's the whole transformation.....

It was a big sofa.
The fabric was stripped and the curve cut off.

It's looking good.

The sofa fabric has arrived from the designer.
Now on to the chairs.....



Bye-bye curved arms.


I was so excited watching the transformation of these pieces.

And you should have seen the clients happy face when he came to pick everything up. He was grinning ear to ear.





Do you have a piece of furniture that you'd like some design advice on? Send us a picture at info@pollinsofnapa.com and we'll give you our best advice.

10 comments:

  1. Amazing job! It feels so much more earth-friendly to re-purpose these items than to trash them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It is. It's so nice to see furniture get a new life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couch I have been wanting to redesign and not send to the landfill! Thisbisbexactly what I've been hoping for

    ReplyDelete
  4. i found so mmany interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post!
    leather chesterfield sofa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I was searching and this is the exact transformation I was hoping to make on my sofa. I was hoping to take on the project myself, since I sew, but it looks daunting. The results are beautiful though!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am remaking a sofa using the wood from an old red oak futon that was at the curb. I used the back to fill in the bottom so that I now have a solid platform. what type of foam cushion can I use that would be comfy without bottoming out? 4" high density foam rubber or???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you cut off the curve or change the arms out entirely? I see how you could cut off the sides, but what about the top of the arm? Do you have any intermediary photos?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad I found your blog. I have the same style sofa and chair and have wanted to do the same thing. Everyone is telling me not to do it (I'm 5'2", female, sr. citizen) but I'm going to try it anyway. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this is a crazy question, but how would you ADD rolled arms to furniture? I'm building (hopefully!) A chaise lounge from scratch but cannot find a tutorial on how to add rolled arms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this is a crazy question, but how would you ADD rolled arms to furniture? I'm building (hopefully!) A chaise lounge from scratch but cannot find a tutorial on how to add rolled arms!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...