Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Proper fit for throw pillows


Want to know the secret?

The insert needs to be two inches bigger than the cover.

It's so simple. I don't know why I never thought of it before. But I just didn't.

We've bought dozens of pillows over the years and I could never figure out why the form inside didn't fit properly. The cover was always too loose. Well, much to my surprise, if you're buying a 20" pillow you need a 22" pillow form inside to properly fill it out.

The sales people in stores should be telling you this. They never told me. I had loosey goosey pillows for years.

I didn't learn this very important fact until we bought Pollin's.

Honestly, I can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner. But I didn't.

So, if you are going to buy a throw pillow cover from a store make sure the insert you buy is two inches bigger. That will give the pillow a nice plump feel.

Don't worry if the store doesn't have the size you need. Look up your local upholsterer. They can take care of it for you. In fact, you'll probably get a better insert if you do that. You can ask for a poly insert or down. They can even make one for you if the size is unique.

Here is how the pillow should look. Nice and full. No loose fabric in the corners.

Silk stripe, with braid trim and down feather fill.
Leather front and back with leather welt.
Cheetah print with fringe and sequined accent tape. Ooh la la!
This striped silk was originally a valance. We re-purposed it into a cool lumbar pillow with a mittered pattern.
The little lumbar pillow sits in front of a long bolster, custom-made for the king bed.
Any pillow questions out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...